Facebook Conversion API(CAPI) integration, enables your account to send Facebook tracking events from our Abicart server to your Facebook Ads Manager account.
Yes, you are right, it does sound similar to the Facebook Pixel but with a small difference.
- You add the pixel/token in our Abicart admin, which enables the pixel/token on the website.
- Facebook then uses that pixel/token to collect the event and conversion data for Facebook Ads Manager.
But how does CAPI differ from Facebook Pixel?
CAPI does not differ from Facebook Pixel, it complements it, and it is mostly aimed towards your website visitors who own an iOS device with a version number higher than or equal to 14.
Facebook Pixel: Client-side (browser).
CAPI: Server-side (internal data from our server).
Facebook Pixel: Facebook is the one that captures and does data collection. It collects the event and conversion data directly from the website based on visitor activity. It is reliable most of the time, although on iOS 14 and higher, with the privacy modification Apple has introduced, Pixel was unable to accurately track the usage of your website.
Cons: Not always accurate. Some browsers disable pixel tracking, so sometimes data might could be missed.
CAPI: With this integration, Abicart will save basic usage data from your site, and send that information Server-Side to Facebook. Events such as: views, content views, events, etc. So it is you who provides data to Facebook. It sends tracking data and events to Facebook via an API - i.e. also on our server.
CAPI can track the data even if the browser blocks the pixel tracking. So, it gives more accurate data.
Facebook CAPI does not replace pixel. It is independent, and it is always advisable to use it alongside Facebook Pixel.
Our Integration makes sure not to track the events multiple times, both with Pixel and CAPI. IF the pixel has successfully tracked the data, then Facebook will deduplicate the events we send with CAPI, in order for your measurements to remain accurate.
- Using the Facebook CAPI, you can get more information regarding the activity on your website, and optimize your ads.
- Easier to add the functionality as we already have support for Facebook Pixel.
Steps to set up Facebook CAPI in admin:
You can follow the below steps in our admin to add Facebook CAPI:
- In the Main Menu, go to “Store Design” >>” Themes” >> “Edit”;
- Within the theme editor, please press on the “Add-ons” Tab;
- Within the “Add-ons” tab, please press the “Facebook” panel from the side menu;
- Please add a valid Pixel ID in the “Pixel ID” field;
- Please add a valid Access Token in the “Access Token” field;
- Press the “Save” button on the top right side of the panel.
To test if it works:
- Press the “Preview” button;
- You'll land on the store website, which should already send a “PageView” event both with Pixel and Server event;
- Please Navigate to any product, an event associated with that should show up as "ViewContent";
- Please try to add the product to the cart. An event associated with that action should also show up: "AddToCart";
To track the data:
- Navigate to the Facebook Business Account
- In the Business Account, select Events Manager;
- In the Events Manager, select “YOUR PIXEL INTEGRATION”;
- The events registered from both Browser and Server will be available there;
Expected result: Our Integration within our app grants access to the Server-Side API to allow you to send web events from the servers directly to Facebook.
Requirements from Facebook and steps to generate access token:
Business Manager- You also need a Business Manager to use the API.
Pixel ID- You must obtain a pixel ID to use the Conversions API. If you’ve already set up a pixel for your website, we recommend that you use the same pixel ID for your browser and server events.
Access Token- To use the Conversions API, you require an access token.
There are two ways of getting your access token:
Via Events Manager (Recommended): To use the Conversions API, you need to generate an access token, which is passed as a parameter in each API call.
Inside Events Manager, follow these steps:
Step 1- Choose the pixel you want to implement.
Step 2- Select the Settings tab.
Step 3- Under the Conversions API section, click on the Generate access token link under Set up manually, and follow the instructions in the pop-up.
The Generate access token link is only visible to users with developer privileges for the business. The link is hidden from other users.
Step 4- Once you have your token, click on the Manage Integrations button in the Overview tab in Events Manager.
Step 5- In the pop-up screen, click the Manage button next to Conversions API.
Step 6- This will automatically create a Conversions API app and Conversions API system user for you. There is no need to go through App Review or request any permissions.
To do that:
Step 1- Go to your Business' Settings.
Step 2- Assign a pixel to your system user (you also have an option to create a new system user at this stage).
Step 3- Select the assigned system user and click Generate Token.
Your app does not need to go through App Review. You do not need to request any permissions.